Does your insurance provider cover weight loss surgery?
Please fill out the form below, and we will contact you with your results.
Health insurance can cover bariatric surgery and Northwest Weight & Wellness Center accepts most insurance plans, but it can be challenging for patients to figure out the insurance process on their own. While many insurance companies offer bariatric coverage, the policyholder of your insurance plan (typically your employer) may have opted out of this coverage. If your plan does cover bariatric surgery they may have very specific eligibility criteria and pre-surgical requirements.
Don’t let this information discourage you! The experts at Northwest Weight & Wellness Center are here to help. Our team will help you navigate your insurance benefits and they will explain everything you need to know about your plan’s coverage. If your initial insurance claim is denied we can also help you appeal the decision.
If you attend one of our free seminars, have your insurance card with you to fill out an insurance verification form. Our insurance coordinators will then contact your insurance provider to verify your benefits, criteria and deductibles.
Steps in a Typical Insurance Process for Bariatric Surgery
When you fill out an insurance verification form at our office, these are the typical next steps for our team:
- Determine if weight loss surgery is a covered benefit in your policy.
- Verify the criteria for coverage (such as weight, BMI, previous weight loss attempts, etc.).
- Check if your plan requires participation in a medically supervised weight loss program.
- Determine which weight loss procedure(s) your policy covers.
- Obtain documentation (such as chart notes from previous doctor visits) that you may need to meet all the criteria for coverage by your insurance policy.
- We will then prepare a comprehensive letter of medical necessity outlining your situation and send it to your insurance company on your behalf to request approval for your weight loss surgery.
The providers at Northwest Weight & Wellness Center have either authored or reviewed and approved this content.